[Python-talk] [js] Javascript Uber Alles? Is script without the sandbox a good idea?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Jul 2 22:26:26 EDT 2007

Cole Tuininga wrote:

> This is a tough call for which I don't think there is a "right" answer.
> Though, just for the record, animations are usually either via flash,
> java applets, or animated gifs.

Yeah, poetic license I invoke. I feel that an awful lot of Javascript
usage is gratuitous.

> When I do work with a web UI that includes javascript, some the general
> rules I *try* to follow include:
>
> * Javascript should be used to enhance the interface, rather than
> "because I could"
>
> * Javascript should never be mandatory - the UI should work without it,
> and ideally it shouldn't be painful to work without it.

That is an admirable goal, for a number of reasons. I suspect a lot of
the Javascript implementations are not enabled for the people who
approach the web site with non-standard devices, or try to use a
screen-reader in the case of the visually impaired.

> * If I'm going to use javascript, it needs to work for "most modern
> browsers" (for whatever value of "most modern browsers" you choose)

Leaps and bounds have been achieved with the most recent versions of
FireFox, Opera, and even IE (although I find that last one causes me
more problems than FireFox, Konqueror, Opera and Safari combined!). Kent
mentioned jQuery earlier, which looks promising, and I've been messing
around with PHP code using blueshoes and dojo and symfony, and the
effects are striking...

> As far as the security issues - that depends on which js implementation
> you use.  There are certainly some organizations I trust to have a more
> secure implementation than others.... ;)

Travelocity requires I use JavaScript and I'm fairly comfortable with
that. Comcast might want javascript enabled for its WebMail, but I am
unlikely to trust all of the comcast.net domain.

Sites that may or may not filter what their advertisers put in their
banners or the random .ru site I go to for a Python module are lot less
trustworthy...

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC