[Python-talk] TurboGears 2: A return to the past

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Jul 2 22:19:18 EDT 2007

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
>> A couple of pythonistas get together for a weekend of hacking and manage
>> to glue TurboGears on top of Pylons.
>
>   So they're running a framework on top of a on top of an interpreted
> language that compiles to an intermediate bytecode, all so they can
> generate HTML.
>
>   My stack overfloweth.  ;-)

Oh, and they're adding a widget layer on top, and a Object-Relational
Mapping engine to the bottom. ;)

The key thing is that they're not just generating HTML; they're
generating an application without having to get down and dirty on every
page and craft every open- and close-tag. Been there, done that, got the
arrow-holes through the back of the T-shirt.

As a "business applications programmer" I deliver great value to my
clients when I don't have re-invent that which has already been written
by smarter people than me (and debugged by many). I write the cool,
compelling stuff that makes their application killer. Someone else
crafts better CSS than me.

It's a house of cards, and it does seem to fall down in about 90% of the
frameworks I've worked with. But when it works, it's a Beautiful Thing.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC