[Python-talk] Code like a Pythonista

Alex Hewitt hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 13:18:47 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 11:14 -0400, Kent Johnson wrote:
> Alex Hewitt wrote:
>
> > I bought a copy of the Python PhraseBook
> > and that is very useful as well. See:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Python-Phrasebook-Developers-Library-Dayley/dp/0672329107/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-7002247-7120665?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185459824&sr=1-1
>
> Can you compare the PhraseBook to the printed Python Cookbook? They seem
> to have similar intent and a quick look at the TOC indicates there is
> significant overlap but the Cookbook is much bigger - about 3x as many
> pages of content and the pages themselves seem to contain a lot more
> material as well.
>
> Kent

For me the big advantage of the phrasebook is it's conciseness. The
cookbook has fully formed programs that are certainly useful but when
I'm writing a new program I just want to quickly see the code fragments
that will accomplish a specific limited task. The cookbook is doing a
lot more so that instead of seeing just what I need, I see a much larger
program that would force me to look at code that's not related to what
I'm trying to do. Having said that I have both books in my library.

-Alex